Sunday, May 22, 2011

Interviewing Author O. Warfield about Her Book, Omar Blue and K-9 Town, USA


































O. Warfield and I are both members of a local writer's group and I told her wanted to interview her about her book. So please read the interview and do leave her some comments and questions about her and her book, and most of all about Omar Blue.


1). Please tell us about your book.

Omar Blue and K-9 Town, USA is about a mighty Doberman and his pack of fierce canines, comprised of purebreds, rare breeds, mixed breeds, large and small. One day while doing their usual wandering Omar Blue decides it’s time for them to settle down. Without question, K-9 Town, USA is formed. A town like no other, where the bond between them and their love for each other outweighs any danger. K-9 Town is structured like Any City, USA, from the puppies being trained by Rottweiler Brady the Professor to the female Elders hanging out at Ms. Bee Bee’s space chatting while getting groomed. There is a mysterious wit surrounding their unique leader Omar Blue. They don’t understand it but don’t need to. They know they are engulfed in his mystery and wouldn’t have it any other way. They love their peaceful existence and will do anything, barring nothing, to keep it. Enemies beware!

2.) What can we expect from you in the future?

I’m already in the editing stage of book two of my saga. “Lead By An Eagle,” takes us deeper into Omar’s unique personality and the love and respect his pack has for him and each other. Their fearlessness plays a big part in this adventurous addition.

3.) How would you describe the genre in which you do most of your writing?

In the beginning I was writing a light hearted family book that everyone could enjoy but some portions seemed too juvenile so it became a children’s book. Now, it’s being enjoyed by all ages so I’m back to it being a family book or I’d say for children of all ages. I don’t like being genre specific though I know I have to. I can truthfully say anyone can enjoy Omar Blue and K-9 Town, USA.

4.) What other genre would you like to write in?

I have no other desire right now. I’ve written several serious poems and a short story or two but nothing makes me as happy as when I’m thinking of new ideas for my mostly peaceful, mysterious town of canines. It’s like being able to mold a world any way I’d like to and that’s just what I’m doing. My first book is to lay the foundation for what’s to come. I want my characters to be interesting and well liked. Each and every one has something in common. They are fearless to a fault when it comes to protecting each other and their beloved K-9 Town, USA.

5.) What motivated you to start writing?

I’d write little poems for friends. Usually silly stuff about something that may have just happened or something they were going through, not realizing at the time how easy and comforting writing is to me. Then, I wrote a poem about my dog Omar Blue leading a pack, for a contest. It was longer than anything I had done before. I found that writing took me to another place, so I made up a place to go to, well, for Omar to go to. Writing is very relaxing to me.


6.) Who, if anyone, has influenced your writing?

I can’t say anyone in particular. I’m more influenced by things people do and how they act. I may hear a story about someone doing something that sticks with me. If it’s a couple starting a romance, I might write a romantic chapter. I love hearing about small children doing the funny things they do. Gives me good ideas for my naughty puppies, and so on.

7.) Have you always wanted to be a writer?

I never thought about being a writer until I started this book. I thought I’d spend the rest of my life being an avid gardener in my spare time. I still love gardening but writing has won out for the most part.

8.) Where do your ideas come from?

They can come from people, as I mentioned above, places or things. Omar Blue is really my dog. I love to walk so we take long walks. I consider that some of my quiet time to think. He’s larger than most Dobermans at well over 100 lbs. and is definitely an alpha. I get some ideas from his actions. He makes a good leader. Sometimes I’ll see a picture of a friends pet, for instance the greyhound and potbellied pigs that I recently added on as characters were pets of friends. The potbellied pig’s “mom” was happy, pretending Sookie was going to Hollywood. I liked that.

9.) What kind of research do you do?

Since I sometimes talk about specific breeds, I’ll do some research. Usually on my computer and a few books that I have on canines. I don’t get too involved but do like to give a few pertinent facts, depending on the piece.

10.) Do you have a set schedule for writing or do you just go with the flow?

I just go with the flow. Having a 9 to 5 somewhat limits my productivity but sometimes I stay up pretty late making up for it. I think a lot of writers stay up late a good amount of the time. Our time of night. Quiet and peaceful.

11.) What is the most rewarding thing about being a writer?

Knowing that people are enjoying what I’ve written. My adult daughter, a close friend and I go into facilities for children and adults with special needs to do readings. We give out visual aids such as book markers with the character’s pictures on them and mini posters. In addition, while I read my book, each page is projected for additional visual stimulation. We are having lots of fun with this. A total success. How gratifying it is to have someone who has been brought in, in their hospital bed, who you can’t tell if they even care to listen, all of a sudden call out, “I wish I was at K-9 Town.” Or, having the last of our audience roll out in a wheelchair calling out, “we love you.”

That’s what I call rewarding.

I’ve just purchased a used projector for now, because some of the agencies don’t have one and the presentation doesn’t seem complete without it. I feel that financial rewards will come, because it’s good, fun material. It just takes a while, at least that’s what I’m told.

12.) Among your own books, have you a favorite book? Favorite hero or heroine?

I consider myself having two books, though “Lead By An Eagle” isn’t published yet. I like them both the same. One lays the foundation by introducing the characters, the other takes the characters to another level. I hope to publish within the next two months.

13.) Please tell us about yourself (family, hobbies, education, etc.)

I have a loving and supportive husband and an adult daughter who I call my silent partners because they feel the same as I do about bringing a little joy into the lives of those who can’t help themselves. Daughter Joy has sickle cell anemia and first hand knowledge of the gift we bring.

My education is not extensive, a few secretarial courses after high school, which is why I never thought about becoming a writer.

My hobbies include writing of course, gardening, though lately just enough to keep my garden up to par and learning more about the canines I write about.

14.) Are there any words of encouragement for unpublished writers?

If you are ready to give it all you’ve got, then go for it. If you think you can go into it half-heartedly then don’t waste your time. So many of us don’t realize that writing is the fun part. The hard part comes afterwards. But….if you’ve made up your mind this is what you want to do, there is nothing like it. I feed off of other writer’s willingness to help us newbys. That little push and even the constructive criticism helps so much. What a group!

15.) Tell us your website, MySpace, Blog, any urls so the readers can find out more about you.
Introduction video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sISrICMlZHU
Blog “My Dog Leads Two Lives”: http://omarblue.blogspot.com
Press Release: http://newbookjournal.com/2011/04/youve-stumbled-upon-the-perfect-surprise/
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/profile.php?id=100001606294213
Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/4396689-o
Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/OWarfield



16.) Now for something fun:
Chocolate or vanilla? Vanilla.
Erotic or inspirational? Both.
Favorite books of all time? The first Harry Potter and I Robot.
What is your genre to read? Fantasy, Westerns, Detectives.
All time favorite actor? None in particular.
Actress? None in particular.
Favorite TV shows? Merlin and Closer.
Favorite Movie? The original King Kong.
What makes you laugh out loud? Other people laughing out loud. Infectious.
If you could go anywhere in the universe where would that be?
Alaska to see the northern lights or Arora Borealis.
A secret dream you’d like realized one day?
Omar Blue and K-9 Town, USA becoming as well known as Harry Potter or Avatar.


Book Blurb:


When mighty doberman Omar Blue and his pack of fierce canines form K-9 Town, USA, predators await them but they are in for a big surprise. Fearless to a fault, the pack survives, garnering strength and pride from their leader Omar Blue, from each other and from their love for the new town that is growing quickly. As the canine Elders and puppies settle in, there's no end to the adventure. What would make the grizzly Dirty Sam have second thoughts about attacking the female Elders? Why would Coyote Red think he and his pals could tear down the wedding space before rottweiler Brady and poodle Sophie Jean have their wedding?

The puppies share the joy of being naughty and learning the rules of survival.

Omar's pack are always ready for a challenge, but it's Omar's keen and mysterious wit that usually prevails.

Told in smooth rhymes, with a flow that takes the reader right into K-9 Town, USA.

Omar's pack is getting bigger and stronger, relying more than ever on Omar's wit and the mystery that surrounds him, to keep them worthy of K-9 Town, USA.

Omar Blue is up for the challenge, and wouldn't have it any other way.



PEEPING WOLF BENNIE BA
(Chapter 4)

Was a bright but chilly morning
in K-9 Town, USA
the male Elders were out searching
for the peeping wolf Bennie Ba.

The puppies were left happy
with lots of time for play
but who could have guessed
that darned wolf Bennie
would circle back that day.

But back now to the Elders
and their leader Omar Blue
the biggest, mightiest doberman
any canine ever knew.

He’d stopped
and some would later say
a fierce look had taken hold
the look of the mighty warrior
big, bad, brave and bold.
They knew that there was something
but none of them could see
that wolf Bennie Ba
was in their town
behind The Big Oak Tree.

Then Omar Blue was running
with his cool magnificent stride
they couldn’t keep up
no matter what
but dog-gone-it they sure tried.

A real tough pack of dogs they were
from the shepherd to the hound
and with their leader
ahead of the pack
Bennie Ba would sure be found!
Big Omar Blue outpaced them
got home to the puppies real quick
he found Bennie Ba
just a minute away
but the huge white wolf
was quite sick.
When the pack arrived
wolf Bennie Ba cried
“I won’t do it again!

Just wanted to be
with you and the pups
cause I’m lonely
I ain’t got no kin”.

The Elders faced each other
not knowing what to say
then Omar Blue
said loud and clear
“He needs us
let him stay.”



Author Bio:
O. Warfield was born in Brooklyn, New York, and now resides in Richmond, Virginia. Author and poet, O. lives with her loving husband and has one daughter. Her objective through her book, "Omar Blue and K-9 Town, USA" is to reach out to other dog lovers and avid readers through hours of reading entertainment. Her characters have personalities that draw fans young and old to their individuality.
To fulfill a wish to bring enjoyment to children and adults with special needs, this book is now being read along with a unique presentation, by the author, in resident care facilities, veteran’s and children’s hospitals, libraries and hopefully soon, schools.
At age --, O. Warfield feels her life gets more exciting every day.



BUY LINKS:
Amazon Book:
http://www.amazon.com/Omar-Blue-K-9-Town-USA/dp/1452892318/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1305853385&sr=1-1
Kindle E-book: http://www.amazon.com/Omar-Blue-K-9-Town-ebook/dp/B004OR1CMA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2&s=books&qid=1305853385&sr=1-2
Smashwords e-book: http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/Owarfield



3 comments:

O. Warfield said...

Authors comment: Thanks so much Pamela. It's authors like you who make us a very special group. I can only hope there are readers who are interested in what I've had to say.

Iris B said...

Olyn, that was a really nice interview. Thank you for sharing it with me. I enjoyed reading a little of Omar. I wish you more success with your writing.

Iris Bolling

Iris B said...

Hello Olyn;
That was a wonderful interview. I enjoyed reading about Omar. Thank you for sharing this with me. I wish you more success with your writing.

Iris Bolling