Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Review of X-Files: I Want to Believe DVD

























I didn't get to see this film in the theaters this past summer, so wanting to rent the Blu-ray version of it, I made sure I was at Blockbuster at 10AM. First, they separated deliveries for regular DVDs and the High Defs. I came back at 11:15AM, only to find they only got Wanted in Blu-ray only. I went ahead and got me the regular DVD of X-Files: I Want to Believe.
I had seen reviews of it and saw that it seemed more watered down from the TV show and even the first film. But I still enjoyed it. This time, instead of the alien thread, they used one of those stand alone horror episodes made into a movie. The villain in this piece didn't scare me much, except during one scene when he watched one of his victims to be get out of a pool and sunk into the water, with a nasty grin. But the actor didn't make his character evil enough. Yes, he disgusted me, considering what he was having done to the women he kidnapped. But no, not heart stopping evil.
David Duchovney was Mulder, though Gillian Anderson seemed more watered down at first form the way she played Scully in the series. Then toward the end of the film, she brought back the feisty Scully I knew.
If you're looking for perfection, for the best of X-Files when the series was at its hey day, then you will be disappointed. But if you are a fan, I promise you you will enjoy this movie.
I give X-Files: I want to Believe 3 1/2 dragons.

1 comment:

Carolan Ivey said...

I saw this last weekend; I wasn't an avid follower of the show but have seen enough episodes to agree with you 100 percent about the movie. It wasn't horribile, but it wasn't horror, either. It just didn't grab me.