Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Review of Wolfsbane and Mistletoe


































Okay, it's not Christmas. Actually it's almost Easter, But I was on a long waiting list for this anthology since before Christmas and I got it a week and half ago. And it was well worth the wait, even if it's Christmas paranormal stories about werewolves.

The holidays can bring out the beast in anyone. They are particularly hard for lycanthropes. Charlaine Harris and Toni L. P. Kelner have harvested the scariest, funniest and saddest werewolf tales. They're best read by the light of a full moon with a silver bullet close at hand.

Who doesn't like werewolves and werewolf stories? I know I do. Vampires are fine, but give me my full moon beast anytime. And if under the mistletoe, there's a furry maw instead of luscious lips, why not?

Fifteen tales fill the book. Characters like Charlaine Harris's Sookie Stackhouse to other well-known characters from other urban fantasy series to new werewolves to howl at the moon. My favorites were "Lucy, at Christmastime,"Fresh Meat," and "Il Est Ne." "Lucy, At Christmas" was my all-time fave, with just these words: You don't forget your first. . ."
And though all the stories were set at Christmas and though it was March as I read these, I kept reading and reading until I finished them.

A mixed bunch, there's sure to be something for everyone. From scary to humorous to sad to a sweet seasonal tale, most endeared themselves to my heart. There were a couple of stories I didn't care for, but knowing what I may not like someone else might, I won't say or spoil it for anyone. Just read the book for yourself.

So though flowers are popping up in your yard and summer is not far away, this anthology is worth reading, whether at the beach or keeping cool indoors. Who says Christmas stories have to be read in December? Not when there's a werewolf in them.

I give this 4 1/2 dragons.

1 comment:

Morgan Mandel said...

Good idea to get the book now and save it - if you can. It might be too tempting to read early.

Morgan Mandel
http://morganmandel.blogspot.com