Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Interview with Bill Truesdale, Con-Ops Director for Ravencon 2007



1. Tell us about yourself. How long have you been in Fandom?


Since 1977. Though I've always like science fiction way, when my girlfriend (now my wife of 30 years) almost left me alone one night in January and when I asked her where she was going she told me to a science fiction club called S.T.A.R./San Diego. I said I loved Star trek and science fiction so went to my first meeting. I didn't attend my first con until a couple months after Star Wars came out. My wife, Pamela K. Kinney, brought me into it. She was also the one who got me into costuming. My first costume was a Starfleet uniform, the second, an Imperial officer uniform.


2. Tell us why you decided or agreed to do Ravencon. Why as Con-Ops?

Richmond needs a convention, other than a gaming or Anime one. And because I've done con security and con-ops at other conventions over the years, it was the best choice for me.



3. Did last year's con proved everything you wanted it to do, or did it exceed beyond your expectations?

People-wise, it was beyond my expectations for a first year convention. On everything else, it proved what I expected for it. That Richmond was finally readu for a science fiction, fantasy and horror convention. Was glad we started small, as you never know either how things will pan out.



4. Where do you see Ravencon in future?


Eventually as a big convention, maybe big as Dragoncon or Comic-Con in San Diego. Not for a while, no great cpon becomes that right off the bat, but I can see it happening.

No comments: