Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Interview With Mark Morgan, Ravencon 2007's Dealer's Room Director




1. Tell us about yourself. How long have you been in Fandom?

Well, I am a 38 year old father of 2. I served in the Army during Operation Desert Storm, and currently work as a machine operator at a large cabinet making firm. I got into 'Fandom' when Star Wars came out. Boy, I was hooked.

2. Do you love literature? Who was the one author you were excited to meet and finally did over the years? Of the genres,science fiction, fantasy and horror, which one do you like to read or watch on film or TV the most, or do you like them all?

I do indeed love literature. I have been an avid reader as long as I can remember. There are severalauthors I would like to meet, but the three I have met are Jim Butcher, Eric Flint, and John Ringo. I enjoy reading all three genres, but only like to watch science fiction and fantasy.

3. Tell us why you decided to do RavenCon.

My friend, Crystal Ritchie told me about Mike Pederson and his crazy idea to start a convention in Richmond. So, I decided to tag along with Crystal to the first meeting. After listening to Mike's idea, I came to the conclusion that I wanted to help. And the rest is history.

4. Did last year's con prove everything you wanted it to, or did it exceed beyond your expectations?

I think we did extremely well for a first-year con. Iwould like to think that there is always room forimprovement.5. Tell us why you were the best to be in charge ofthe dealer's room? I don't necessarily think that I was the 'best choice'to be in charge of the dealers room. It more or less came down to that I was in the right place at theright time. As time goes on, I think I am getting better at dealing with things that come up with the dealers room, but, like I said before, there is always room for improvement.

6. Where do you see RavenCon in the future?

As long as we can provide innovative and provocativeprogramming, I see the future as an open opportunityof growth and enjoyment for many decades to come!

No comments: